Saturday, July 17, 2010

One Year In Morocco

It's hard to believe that I arrived in Morocco for the first time over a year ago.

My Darija has improved remarkably; something I can't quite say about my Fusha. I have become comfortable with most Moroccan traditions and ways of life. I particularly enjoy the cafe culture and a few excellent dishes, particularly the tajines. The extended greetings can be wearisome at times, but have become comfortingly familiar.

During this short time I've learned a lot about Moroccan society, which is itself in the midst of an amazing transition. I've been disappointed by how certain events have played out, particularly the expulsions of Christians (which I have covered on this blog), but I have also been thoroughly impressed by Moroccans' language skills, hospitality, and speed of life.

It's frustrating to see this culture's blind spots and prejudices, but in comparison with the US, Morocco doesn't do too bad. We just have different blind spots and prejudices.


I am currently on vacation. So for the next month or so, I won't have any exciting anecdotes about life in Morocco to share with you.

However, I figured that this pause might be a good time to reflect back on my year in Morocco and write about some general topics or larger trends that don't come up on a daily or weekly basis. Although I may post a little less frequently, I encourage you to check back regularly for those more reflective posts. And then at the end of August I'll be reprising my typical blogging.

In the meantime, I hope you all have an excellent summer. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment