Tuesday, November 3, 2009

An Indian Summer on Steroids

For the last month or two, the weather here seemed impervious to Earth's shifting axis. While most places I have lived shift into fall sometime in September or October, my new hometown of Meknes, Morocco weathered on as if Fall were a state of mind. Temperatures regularly approached 100 and I sweated every time I walked anywhere.

But then November came. On Sunday night, while sitting outside at a cafe with my friend, I found myself rubbing my arms to keep warm. That night, a thick fog, strangely out-of-place here in Morocco, settled over the city. And then during the night, I had to wrap myself tightly into my recently purchased wool blanket to escape the chill. The trend continued last night; it rained. And today while walking to lunch at noon, for the very first time in my Moroccan experience, a daytime breeze felt chilly.

The high temperature is still in the 80s, but it is declining fast. I have been told tales of miserable winters, damp and soggy in houses without heat. I keep telling myself it can't be that bad. After months of sunshine and sweat, it is hard to imagine this wonderful country giving me anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment