Thursday, November 19, 2009

Welcome to the Monarchy

Sometimes when I teach, I find it beneficial to use examples that everyone knows. When everyone shares the same background knowledge, there is no interference with the vocabulary or grammar point.

So, the other day when we were learning vocabulary to describe physical appearance, I thought it would be a good idea to ask my students to describe some celebrities and public figures. I gave them a list of people including the President Obama, the soccer player Ronaldo, King Mohammed VI of Morocco, and French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

My students happily did the activity: "Teacher, teacher, President Obama is tall and has short dark hair."

But then, we reached the King of Morocco. And they balked.

I said, "Come on, what does the King of Morocco look like?"

Not a word in response.

One student tried to say something about not talking about the king.

"I just want to know what he looks like. This isn't politics or anything. Just tell me: what does he look like?" I understood that discussion of politics and the monarchy is a touchy subject. You can get sent to prison for offense to the crown. But I didn't think that describing him as medium height with short black hair and brown eyes would count.

Still: silence.

Eventually I gave up and moved on. I guess I learned something about monarchies.

No comments:

Post a Comment