Monday, November 9, 2009

Where Did The Weekend Go?

These days, it doesn't feel like I really have weekends. I work Saturday mornings for three hours and Sunday afternoons for three hours. I have plenty of free time every day of the week, but I have no 48 (or even 24) hour period that is completely free. In the end, it doesn't bother me too much, but it is a strange sort of sensation. Every week blends into the next.

The last month, I have had Mondays off, although I have used the day off to lesson plan. Starting today, though, I teach the "American Culture Club" on Monday nights. Students are allowed to come for free, but teachers receive extra pay to teach clubs. So some teachers go over the lyrics of popular songs or work on creative writing or direct dramas. I wanted to use the opportunity to help Moroccan students think about both the good and the bad sides of America.

So I'm starting my club with a section called "Dreams and Promises". We're going to read Langston Hughes' very descriptive but very manageable "A Dream Deferred" as well as selections from speeches by Martin Luther King, Jr. and Barack Obama.

I want my students to think critically about the much-touted "American Dream". It has been true for millions of immigrants, including everyone in my family, but not for everyone.

Here are some key parts of the three texts:

Dream Deferred – Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up 
like a raisin in the sun? 

Or fester like a sore-- 
And then run? 

Does it stink like rotten meat? 

Or crust and sugar over-- 
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags 
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

Martin Luther King, Jr.
And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today!
I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.
I have a dream today!

Barack Obama
This country of ours has more wealth than any nation, but that's not what makes us rich. We have the most powerful military on Earth, but that's not what makes us strong. Our universities and our culture are the envy of the world, but that's not what keeps the world coming to our shores.
Instead, it is that American spirit - that American promise - that pushes us forward even when the path is uncertain; that binds us together in spite of our differences; that makes us fix our eye not on what is seen, but what is unseen, that better place around the bend.
That promise is our greatest inheritance. It's a promise I make to my daughters when I tuck them in at night, and a promise that you make to yours - a promise that has led immigrants to cross oceans and pioneers to travel west; a promise that led workers to picket lines, and women to reach for the ballot.
And it is that promise that forty five years ago today, brought Americans from every corner of this land to stand together on a Mall in Washington, before Lincoln's Memorial, and hear a young preacher from Georgia speak of his dream.
The men and women who gathered there could've heard many things. They could've heard words of anger and discord. They could've been told to succumb to the fear and frustration of so many dreams deferred.
But what the people heard instead - people of every creed and color, from every walk of life - is that in America, our destiny is inextricably linked. That together, our dreams can be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment